Areas of Focus
- Accounting & Professional Liability
- Business Litigation
- Business Separations and Partnership Disputes
- Class Action Defense
- Competitor Litigation and Unfair Competition / Deceptive Trade Practices
- Complex Toxic and Mass Tort Litigation
- Product Liability / Product Safety and Recalls
- Trade Secrets and Restrictive Covenants
Tim West is a trial lawyer. For more than a decade, he has devoted his practice to mastering the facts of his clients’ situations, applying the law to the best possible outcome, and presenting their stories to judges and juries across the United States.
Tim thrives when asked to think on his feet. That’s because he’s put in the effort to understand the law as it applies to each case. His ability to craft winning legal arguments is just one reason why he has been able to achieve success for his clients.
Tim’s practice is primarily in the field of business litigation on both sides of the aisle. Tim has achieved complete defense verdicts in both jury and bench trials. He has also been successful in obtaining summary judgment and dismissal for his clients at early stages of litigation without the need for trials and in upholding those victories on appeal. Tim has also obtained plaintiff verdicts for clients in business disputes, including a multi-million-dollar verdict in a breach of fiduciary duty and fraud case involving a general partnership, and a seven-figure verdict of compensatory and punitive damages verdict in a case involving defamation, breach of fiduciary duty, conversation and fraud.
Pre-litigation disputes are where Tim has achieved some of his most rewarding results. He has been fortunate to assist many business owners in partnership/LLC disputes and dissolutions. Key to that representation is working hand-in-hand with the business owners and having a deep understanding of their business needs.
A long-time Kansas City resident, Tim served as Managing Editor of the UMKC Law Review and now serves as the President for the Lawyers Association of Kansas City and as a Director for the Jackson County Law Library. When not in the office, he can usually be found under the hood of a car or riding his motorcycle.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Authored “Drye v. United States: Limiting the Traditional State Right to Define Property,” 69 UMKC Law Review 909 (2001).
- John McFarland and Timothy R. West, Missouri and Kansas Standards for Malicious Prosecution Suits, Business Tort Handbook (2010).
- Timothy R. West, Missouri and Kansas Standards for Malicious Prosecution and Abuse of Process Suits, Business Tort Handbook (2017).
- “Missouri Senate Bills Concerning Expert Witnesses and the Death Penalty,” (LinkedIn, 2017).
- “More Missouri Bills Referred to the Judiciary Committee,” (LinkedIn, 2017).
- “Governor Greitens Declares War on Trial Lawyers,” (LinkedIn, 2017).