Tony Durone has extensive experience in business litigation and, in particular, representing companies and professionals in the financial services and lending industries, including securities broker/dealers, accounting firms, tax preparation firms, banks, consumer loan lenders and other financial service providers. He has served as lead and trial counsel in hundreds of cases involving professional negligence claims, business torts, unfair competition, restrictive covenant and trademark issues. He has litigated cases in more than thirty-five states and tried cases in more than a dozen, in state and federal court, in FINRA and other arbitration forums and before the SEC, CFTC and state securities commissions.
Tony graduated cum laude from the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law in 1995, and served as Note and Comment Editor for and was published in the Missouri Law Review. In addition, he has been recognized as a top litigator by his peers, including in the annual publication of Benchmark Litigation, and by Martindale-Hubbell with a rating of AV Preeminent. He is also involved in several local community organizations and he served from 2007 to 2010 as the Co-Chair for the annual Kansas City Spirit Awards Gala, benefiting Gillis House for Families and Children. Tony also serves as President of the Board of Trustees for the Lyric Opera of Kansas City.
Tony has successfully obtained numerous verdicts, judgments and other favorable rulings for his clients, including:
- defense verdicts and dismissals for clients in multi-million dollar to smaller claims by their former customers, employees and business competitors;
- federal and state court-ordered injunctive relief and damages for unfair competition and violation of trademark and false advertising laws by competitors of business clients;
- federal and state court ordered injunctive relief for violations of restrictive covenants and misappropriation of trade secrets;
- dismissals and no-action determinations for securities industry and accounting professionals following federal and state regulatory investigations; and
- arbitration awards and judicial rulings recovering millions for clients in insurance coverage disputes, and similarly, defense rulings protecting insurance company clients from unwarranted coverage claims.